Mornings are busy. Whether you’re headed off to work, trying to get the kids to school or both at the same time—trying to start your day can be hectic and stressful. Something that often suffers when mornings get too busy is breakfast. But there are some very good reasons why you shouldn’t skip the most important meal of the day.
What’s the Deal with Breakfast?
Eating breakfast is important because your body has gone the longest it does in a 24-hour period without eating. The key to starting the morning off right—and giving you enough energy and focus to get you to lunch—is eating within one to two hours of waking up.
Eating breakfast helps stave off illness (including serious ones like heart disease or diabetes), improves brain function and is an important step in healthy weight loss. And, it’s easier to pull off than you may think. Try this breakfast burrito recipe below: It’s good for eating right away or making on a Sunday and freezing for the whole week!
- 1/2 chicken sausage link
- 1 whole wheat flour tortilla
- 1 egg
- a dash of milk
- cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of salsa
- a drizzle of salsa picante or hot sauce (if desired)
- Shred a tablespoon-size amount of cheese. Set aside.
- Crack the egg into a bowl, and then add the dash of milk. Whisk until mixed thoroughly.
- In a small skillet, pour the egg mixture and cook until fluffy.
- Add sausage and salsa to the eggs. Stir until all the ingredients are warm.
- Lay a tortilla out on a plate, fill with the egg mixture, sprinkle cheese, drizzle hot sauce and roll up burrito.
- Serve immediately or freeze for later.
- If freezing, place in a plastic freezer bag, and then stick in the freezer. Store for up to one month.
- To thaw: Remove from plastic bag, wrap burrito in a paper towel, and then microwave for 1.5–2 minutes or until warm.