Pizza rolls, hot pockets and bagel bites…these should be our after-school treats or snacks used for entertaining friends, right? Well, at least that’s what the commercials on TV lead us to believe. Unfortunately, all of these common items are nothing but processed starchy, unhealthy menu items. The next time you have the kids or friends over; entertain them with this simple, nutritious and fun snack treat.
- Apples, thinly sliced
- Lemon juice
- Almond butter
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- Dark chocolate chips
- Slivered Almonds or chopped walnuts
1. Arrange apples on plate/serving platter. To keep your apples from browning, squirt a small amount of lemon juice over the apples (or you could even toss the sliced apples in a small bowl with the lemon juice for even coverage).
2. Scoop some almond butter into a Ziploc bag. Cut the tip-off of one of the corners and squeeze a thin drizzle of almond butter over apples. Top with shredded coconut, dark chocolate chips and nuts.
3. One may also add sliced bananas or any other fruit to the dish.
*Try to avoid using caramel as this would make the dish less healthy with all the added sugar. Remember the focal point is the apples and fruit, so the chocolate chips should just be used sparingly.