Sometimes the best tasting meals are the ones made with the simplest ingredients. I had leftover basil and tomatoes from some veggie kabobs I had made and decided to make an Italian-style chicken dinner. My husband asked if I could make the chicken a different way since I typically bake our chicken. Many times, people avoid cooking their chicken in the skillet because it can add more fat and thus more calories to the dish. However, a new study recently published in the Annals of Internal Medicine found that when individuals followed a low-carb/high-fat diet that was still rich in fruits and vegetables, they had greater improvements in reducing cardiac risk factors and weight loss compared to participants who followed the standard low-fat diet. This information doesn’t give you a free pass to eat truckloads of bacon and cheese, but it does give us some wiggle room to enjoy some higher fat cooking methods guilt-free from time to time.
• 4 chicken breasts
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• Salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning
• 2 pints of cherry tomatoes, halved
• ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
• 1 can of organic Italian herbed tomatoes, drained of liquid
• 6 large garlic cloves, minced
• 2-4 Tbsp butter
1. Pre-heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Let the oil heat up for a couple of minutes before adding your chicken. As the pan heats, season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
2. Lay chicken breasts in pan. You should hear the pan sizzle. If it didn’t, then your oil is not hot enough and this will leave you with greasy chicken. Cook on one side for 4-8 minutes and then turn over. Depending on your thickness of the chicken breasts, you may need to increase your cooking time.
3. After the chicken has been turned over once and continues to cook, add tomatoes, basil, garlic and butter. Stir gently to mix ingredients. Continue to cook on low heat until chicken is white all the way through and the juices run clear. (I always use my meat thermometer to help with this).
4. Serve with your favorite green veggies, a kiss from your hubby and a hungry belly!