National Nutrition Month is an educational campaign celebrated each year in March by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. This year’s theme “Put Your Best Fork Forward”, serves as a reminder that small changes toward a healthier lifestyle can be made with each bite!
Mealtimes are the foundation of your health and nutrition and it’s important to incorporate a variety of foods. Try including…
- a vegetable at every meal, focusing on dark green vegetables like leafy greens or broccoli and orange vegetables like carrots.
- a lean protein source with each meal, such as chicken and turkey.
- fish, like salmon or tuna twice weekly to increase healthy fat sources.
- plant-based protein sources such as beans and lentils throughout your week.
- a variety of grains at each meal, such as oatmeal, brown rice, and quinoa.
Don’t forget adequate hydration from water is essential to living a healthy lifestyle! Aim for at least 40 ounces of plain water daily!
For more information on National Nutrition Month, check out http://www.eatright.org/resources/national-nutrition-month
Key Messages of this year’s theme:
- Create an eating style that includes a variety of healthful foods.
- Cook more at home and experiment with healthier ingredients.
- How much we eat is as important as what we eat.
- Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days.
- Manage or lower your weight by meeting with a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. RDNs can provide personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle and health-related needs.