The Quickest Way to my Husband’s Heart…is through his Stomach
My husband has been such a trooper with me trying out so many new chicken recipes lately; I decided to surprise him with a meat dish. This recipe does take a bit of prep time; but, the flavors are so phenomenal, it is well worth the time and patience when you taste your finished product. Whether you want to treat yourself or treat someone special in your life, this recipe gets a grade A stamp of approval from both me and my husband. Serve this dish with your favorite green bean recipe, side salad or sautéed vegetables.
- 1 ½-2 lbs flank steak (this is one of the leanest and thinnest cuts of steak, which makes it perfect for this recipe)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Any steak seasoning you like (I used BWW’s Chipotle BBQ dry rub)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 zucchini, julienned
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 5-6 green onions, thinly sliced (green parts)
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 Tbsp shallots, finely minced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup beef broth
1. Begin prepping your steak. Trim visible fat and pound thin (only if other type of steak is used instead of flank). Season both sides with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
2. Slice vegetables into thin, matchstick-like strips. You will be lightly sautéing these prior to rolling them in the steaks.
3. For the sauce, melt butter in sauce pan. Add shallots and stir for 2 minutes. Add the rest of sauce ingredients. Once the sauce comes to a boil, reduce the temperature and continue to stir as sauce thickens, another couple minutes. Once sauce is at desired consistency, transfer to separate sauce dish.
4. In the same pan or separate pan, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add garlic and sliced vegetables (except for green onions). Add Italian seasoning and a sprinkle of salt and sauté for a few minutes. Once slightly cooked and softened, remove vegetables from heat.
5. Assemble the steak rolls by placing marinated steak down on cutting board and laying vegetables (and green onions) in middle of steak. Roll over steak and secure with toothpick.
6. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp of oil. Place steaks seam-side down and cook 3-4 minutes per side. Add special steak seasoning to rolls as they are cooking. Cook until desired.
Recipe adapted from: http://picturetherecipe.com/index.php/recipes/balsamic-glazed-steak-rolls/