Father’s Day is just around the corner and what better way to celebrate those special men in your life than with a little bacon! There is always a big debate on if we should consume regular bacon or turkey bacon.
Turkey bacon is generally considered a more heart healthy substitute primarily because it contains less fat; however, you will also find that turkey bacon often contains a lot more sodium than regular bacon. Personally, I’m about flavor and moderation so I stick to regular bacon. Bacon is certainly not a regular part of our meals so it’s perfectly fine to indulge every once in a while, especially if it’s celebrating a special occasion!
This recipe requires only a few ingredients and is easy enough for the kids to help out with. Be sure to serve these with some green veggies for Dad too!
• 3-4 chicken breasts, cut lengthwise about 1 1/2 -2 inches thick
• 1 slice of bacon for each chicken skewer
• 1 tbsp Garlic powder
• 2/3 cup Brown sugar
• 2 tbsp Cumin
• 2 tbsp Chili powder
• Wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 15 minutes
1. Pre-heat grill to medium heat. Meanwhile, mix all seasonings together in a small, shallow bowl.
2. Slice chicken breasts lengthwise. Take a skewer and thread it through the long part of the chicken breast or you can fold the chicken back and forth over the skewer like an accordion.
3. Wrap one slices of bacon around each chicken on the skewer. Dip bacon-wrapped chicken into seasoning mix and generously coat all sides.
4. Place skewers on grill and cook for about 15 minutes, turning chicken once half-way through. *Skinnier/smaller chicken skewers will require less cooking time.
This recipe also doubles for a great appetizer. Cut bite-size pieces of chicken and wrap a small portion of bacon around each bite. Secure with a toothpick, coat in seasoning and prepare on grill.