Can you believe it is that time of year again? This is the first year that I did not participate in Black Friday shopping. I decided last year was going to be the last after seeing four car accidents on my short 10-mile drive to the mall; plus, shopping online was way more convenient and less stressful! Hopefully, you have already gotten a jump-start on your Christmas and holiday shopping, but in case you are still looking, here is a list full of gifts that will inspire health and wellness for 2015!
- Spiralizer. This is one of the simplest ways to cut out processed foods from your diet. With a Spiralizer, you create fresh, low-carb and more nutritious dishes such as making noodles from zucchini or butternut squash instead of using pasta. The Spiralizer will help create fun textures that can jazz up old, boring dishes. For example, try Spiralizing some carrots and beets to add on top of salads.
- TRX Bands. Don’t have a gym membership or want to avoid the New Year’s gym crowds? You can create total body workouts that improve balance, core strength and challenge your muscles in ways you never have before. Traveling with them is super easy since they fold up tightly into a small cinch pouch.
- Emulsion Blender. This was one of my favorite gifts I received last year. With it, I make homemade salad dressings, mayonnaise and sauces. You can also use it to puree vegetables to add to sauces to increase nutritional value.
- Pocket Dietitian smartphone application. This app can help make day to day dietary decisions much easier for individuals with a combination of diabetes, hypertension and chronic kidney disease (CKD). When someone has both diabetes and CKD, many dietary recommendations will contradict one another. Using the app will help guide individuals in their food choices and even provide recommended products that are suitable for their conditions.
- Banana Grams and Game of Things. These are by far two of my favorite games to play. Too often when we socialize, we do it around food and usually at a restaurant. Next time you want to gather the family or friends together, offer to host a game night where healthy treats can be prepared and abdominal workouts will occur from all the belly-laughs you’ll be having.