This is one of the easiest recipes that will have you stocked up with healthy breakfast and snack options throughout the week. Cooked eggs will stay good for 5 days, so if you make a batch of these on Sunday night, you will be good to go for the week.
Eggs are like a blank canvas when it comes to adding additional ingredients. I feel almost all vegetables go great with eggs, so the possible flavor combinations are endless! I have provided a suggested mix of my favorite veggies to go with eggs, but you can certainly substitute with other items like zucchini and yellow squash, diced carrots, red onion, tomatoes, you name it! Try to avoid adding cheese if you can. Typically, most Americans already consume too much cheese in their diets.
This is a healthy protein-packed, low-carb dish. Grab two with a piece of fruit for breakfast or take them to work to help fight that afternoon sugar craving!
½ bell pepper, diced
½ onion, diced
½ cup chopped mushrooms
½ cup chopped spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre heat oven to 350 F. In a sauce pan, melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil for 2-3 minutes. Once heated, add chopped vegetables and sauté for about 5 minutes. Once cooked, set aside and let cool.
2. Meanwhile, whisk eggs together in a medium-sized bowl. Add sautéed vegetables into whisked eggs and then pour about 1/3 cup mixture into each cupcake container.
3. Place in oven and cook for 15-20 minutes until eggs have puffed up. Use a butter knife to stick into egg muffin to make sure it comes out clean.
4. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy as a quick on the go breakfast or protein-packed snack choice.
5. Variations to the vegetable mix can include zucchini, carrots, red onion, meat, tomatoes, etc.